Literacy Week – The Power of Words
The Power of Words
Literacy Week, Monday 1st to Friday 5th October 2018
Activities to mark Literacy Day included:
- A talk to 2nd Years by author Dave Rudden.
- The launch of Blackrock College Table Topics Club.
- The first meeting of the Staff Book Club for the year 2108-2019.
- Thursday Tunes with a focus on lyrics in music.
- Crosswords in Class.
- A Poetry Competition.
- An Art Exhibition prompted by the powerful use of words in poetry.
- A Slide Show on the monitors of quotations which illustrate the powerful use of words.
- Paul Howard, of Ross O’ Carroll Kelly fame, read from a selection of his books in the CADLC and the reading and Q and A session was filmed by RTE for a documentary about the genesis of Ross O’ Carroll Kelly.
All this happened because staff and students were THERE!
Particular thanks to Joey Haughton (Fourth Year) for his help in creating the slideshow, to Mr T O’ Brien for introducing Paul Howard, to Mr A. Wyer and Ms V. Coyle for the coordination of the Art Work, to the Music Department for Thursday Tunes, to the Ms A. Prior and the English Department for overseeing the Poetry Competition, to the participants in the Table Topics Session and to Ms L. Marrey and Ms C. Kelleher for imagining and coordinating Literacy Day. As Helen Keller said;
“Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much”
I thank Ms Kelleher for her ingenuity, drive and inspiration.