Literacy Day 2020
Tuesday, 29th September 2020
As well as workshops on creative writing this year we focussed on raising awareness of the abundance of notes, books, knowledge, literature we already have at our disposal. We do not need to photocopy more notes, buy more books***, cut down more trees. This is particularly relevant this year when current health guidelines urge us not to photocopy for class and is critical in terms of saving our planet. This is also Environment Awareness week.
- Author Dave Rudden Period 1 Tuesday 29th September. (Second Years)
- Author Denise Deegan to do a short Creative Writing Workshop with 5th Years
- Online Prison Break organised by Ms Andrea Dillon to include navigation of the HW Journal
- Launch of the Rock Reads App for teachers and students
- Working with the books we have rather than looking for more books, notes.
- Borrow instead of Buy!
- Tutorial on Roman Numerals:
- Aim is for ‘Rock students to stop asking;
- ‘What is the answer to ‘IV’?’ and instead ask
- ‘What is the answer to number four please? ‘because following Literacy Day you will know your roman numerals!
***We are not in any way suggesting that we should not support established or upcoming writers.
The programme involved links with the following departments and the school ethos: be grateful for what we have.. we do not need any more..
- Green Schools
- SPHE/ RSE
We thank Ms Kelleher, Mr A. Wyer, Mr P. Costello, Ms L Maguire, Ms A. Dillon, to John Duffy, Sam Cahill and Frazer Mcginn (The Library Committee) for their help in organising the various activities, to the class teachers who facilitated workshops in their classes and to the IT Department for their support.